Choosing eating place that suit your budget and health
Home-cooked meal is always the best where you have complete control over the quality of ingredients and the degree of cleanliness that goes with the preparation of the meal.
Convenience, time and sheer laziness are major factors that drive consumers to eat from fast food outlets and from restaurants. Unfortunately, going out to eat has its disadvantages and can cause many health problems. Some restaurants foods nowadays pose a direct threat to people’s health, and pockets. Consumers are gettingoily, fatty, stale and contaminated food in exchange for their hard-earned money. There are also incidences where ants, worms, caterpillars, hairs, and cockroaches are found in some restaurant foods.
The best is to avoid such food but time is not always on our side so we are unable to prepare our lunches and left with an option to eat out.
Here are some tips as to how you can choose a restaurant for lunch:
- Prices of meals – always remember to compare the quality and size of serve against the price of that meal. It is important for consumers to shop around for the best eating places with top quality food offered at the best price.
- Location: Every restaurant situation is different and prices will vary depending on location, ambience and the level of service. Many consumers prefer to buy food from the restaurants/food courts located near to their wok-place, so they end up buying whatever is available and suits their budget. A little walk to the other side of town can help as you may end up finding an eatery, not so far but just good enough with a healthier menu and a better price.
- Type of food: There is a tendency for people to just browse through the menu card with key focus being on the price of the dish. We advise consumers to study the menu thoroughly as they may be some food items on the list which may not be that greasy or rich in sugar, salt or carbohydrates (of course, one is at a liberty to eat whatever they want) that they can choose for health reasons.
- Cleanness: This is crucial as it has direct impact on your health. You surely don’t want to eat at a place which is infested with rats, cockroaches or other creatures. Because if you do, you can fall sick and end up paying a hefty medical bill. Cleanness should be a key factor in choosing a place to eat. Yes, it is true, not everyone can afford bright-lit, expensive restaurants but you can always eat from a little as long as it is clean. Also note whether employees are appropriately dressed,manner of employees, and the presentation of the premise;
- Freshness of food: if you cannot smell the food cooking, they are probably going to serve you leftovers or something that is not so fresh; and
- Reputation of the Eating Place: Rely on past experience and do try out eating places recommended by friends
Consumers need more time to make necessary financial arrangements to facilitate connections to sewer lines
The Consumer Council of Fiji welcomes the restoration of some of the Sky Pacific channels which were removed from the pay-TV provider’s line-up on 3rd August, 2014.
The Consumer Council of Fiji overwhelmingly welcomes the reduction of the stamp duty on residential leases as per the Stamp Duties (Amendment) Decree 2014, which came into force on 30th August 2014.